Thursday, September 01, 2005

City of Ruins

I have to return to blogging after the tragedy of Katrina, mainly because I don’t know what else to do other than donate.

So please give, and then give again:

http://www.redcross.org/

For other charities see the list compiled at Instapundit.

Some of the best coverage of the situation in the New Orleans-area is local TV-station WWL, which has been airing non-stop coverage, and New Orleans Times-Picayune, which as been publishing on the web from Baton Rouge.

Here are a couple of great appreciations of New Orleans, from very diverse sources: the National Review and the New York Times.

I can’t even express my anger at the pathetic federal response, but just compare House Speaker Dennis Hastert comments with the chaotic scenes outside the New Orleans convention center.

I have tried to be reasonable and not jump on the bashing bandwagon, but the more I see and read I just don’t understand how after 4 days the richest country in the world can’t get food and water to these people, even with the thugs and idiots disrupting things there. This is only 300 miles from my home (I drive there regularly for business) not Somalia.

I’ll leave you with this (it’s only a short snippet and written about post-9/11 New York but Springsteen’s song is vary apt).

1 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Welcome back to blog land -- although, agreed, what provoked your return is no cause for celebration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home